Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Big Bowls of Beautiful Berries!

Big, sweet and juicy ... Seascape Strawberries
 from Windhover Farm
In celebration of summer, I set out for my annual ritual of strawberry picking, at Windhover Farm on Dove Creek Road.  http://comoxvalleyberries.com
It's always a pleasure to catch up with Andrea and it never feels that a year has passed us by!

Today was an impromptu trip. Waking up to an overcast sky, a slight breeze and cooler temperatures ... perfect weather for a few hours in the field. These beauties will be enjoyed fresh for a few days and the rest frozen for winter; destined for breakfast smoothies and possibly a batch of Strawberry/Blackberry Jam.
 
This is my third year picking summer strawberries at Windhover Farm. For some reason the June berries come and go, and I miss the window every year. Not to worry, the Seascape plants in my garden produce a far more impressive crop in the summer and early fall. The Burch Family farm grows my favorite variety, Seascape, along with Tristar and a few others. The blueberries and raspberries are all but finished but the strawberries are getting their second wind, are plentiful and easy to pick. Enough chatter... I have 18 pounds of strawberries waiting for me!!
Thanks Andrea, Happy gardening and see you next year!

Till next time... Bon Appetit!

Photo and strawberry picking by Sally Rae 

No comments:

Post a Comment