Finding a crispy, delicious cracker is solved with these egg free, nut free, grain free, gluten free, crunchy, 'Low-Carb 'Seedy Crackers'. They are a bit delicate, not suitable for heavy dips but give them a try in softer dips and enjoy the crunch and flavor! They are fast and super easy to prepare and will be gobbled up quickly. The crunch factor is very satisfying and they are tasty. What more can one ask for?
The great benefit of making your food from scratch is to adjust recipes for your dietary needs. *Instead of ground flax meal you can substitute flax seeds or pulse the whole flax seed in a blender or coffee grinder. Ground flax provides a higher level of nutritional value than the whole seed. You can also adjust the salt to your taste. I use 1 tsp. of Celtic Sea Salt because I like the salty flavor. The salt can be reduced to 1/2 tsp. or no salt at all.
Low-Carb 'Seedy Crackers'
|Completely cool and break into pieces|
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup hemp hearts
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
*1/4 cup flax seeds
*1/4 cup ground flax meal
1+1/2 Tbsp. psyllium husk powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1+1/2 cups boiling water
Heat oven to 350F. Line two 18"x13" jelly roll sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone mats to prevent the mixture from sticking.
Into a large mixing bowl, pour all the seeds, psyllium husk powder and salt. Gently mix well with a whisk. Add the oil and boiling water. Stir gently with a whisk until well combined and the mixture starts to thicken. Let it rest for a few minutes in the bowl, this gives the psyllium a chance to gel.
|Divide mixture and spread thinly|
Place in the oven and set the timer to 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove the pans and using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, score the mixture into cracker shapes, if desired. Put them back in the oven and set the timer for another 10-15 minutes. Your crackers will likely take between 45 mins – 60 minutes to crisp up depending on the thickness. Seeds burn easily so you will have to watch them after the timer goes off. You can remove outer edges if they are done and return the center, uncooked parts to the oven. You’re aiming for crisp crackers but keep in mind they continue to cook a little when you get them out of the oven.
|Store in a 2-quart sealer|
- It’s important that you have the right amount of psyllium husk powder. This is what forms the gel and that is what allows it to turn into a nice cracker.
- Make sure to pat out the mixture as thin as you can. Not only will it speed up the cooking process, but it also makes it more likely to get crispy, which is exactly what we want.
- Make sure to give it plenty of time to crisp up after it is done baking. No gobbling it while it’s still hot!
- Though you can use whatever seeds you like, it’s important that you use seeds are on the small side, like sesame seeds, hemp seeds, and things like that.
- These will keep for about a week or two (if they last that long!) when stored in a 2-quart sealer.
|Soup and Low-Carb Seedy Crackers|
Until next time... Bon Appétit!
Recipe by Sally Rae
Photos by Sally Rae